THE BEST CORNBREAD FROM SCRATCH! It is incredibly EASY to make, made with cornmeal, flour, and sugar. It’s sweet, savory, and ready in under 45 minutes! This is a great recipe for chili night, or when you have a crowd of people over because it’s really easy to double this recipe and make a big batch.
You can make this recipe ahead, but I would try to make it on the same day, warmed in the oven before serving.
- YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE AS WELL:
- EASY Whack GREEN BEANS RECIPE
- Garlic Herb Butter Thanksgiving Turkey
- Mama’s Chicken Roll-Ups | Mouth Watering Rolls
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
Join Our Email List For The Latest Updates!
No Spam Guaranteed
- CHECK OUT THESE FOR MORE EASY PEASY RECIPES:
- Slow Cooker Steak Soup
- EASY INSTANT POT NAVY BEAN SOUP RECIPE
- Toll House Famous Fudge
- Slow Cooker Pesto Mozzarella Chicken Pasta
1 ) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking pan.
2 ) Mix the cornmeal and milk in a large bowl and let soak for 10 minutes.
3 ) Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk well then pour them into the baking pan and bake for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Some Recommended Products:
- <<<48 Inch Gas Range 6 Burners Cooktop 6.7 cu.ft Oven
- <<<Professional Series Built-In All Refrigerator
- <<<Mini Refrigerator, 2-Door 3.4 cu. ft. Small Compact Under Counter
HOW TO MAKE THIS CORNBREAD FLUFFY?
Trade the milk for buttermilk to help the baking powder get the best rise possible. If you don’t have buttermilk, add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes.
Be sure that the baking powder you are using is fresh. Old baking powder doesn’t work as well.
Check your oven with an oven-safe thermometer to make sure you are cooking at the right temperature.
Let the cornmeal soak with the milk for ten minutes before mixing the ingredients together. This really does make a difference in the recipe.
- RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS TO SHOP AT AMAZON.COM:
- ==> All-Clad Hard-Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan
- ==> AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned
- ==> Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan
CAN I MAKE CORNBREAD IN A CAST IRON SKILLET?
YES, You can make this cornbread recipe in a cast iron skillet for a crispy crust with a soft light center. When melting the butter, you can also let it keep cooking to get a browned butter skillet cornbread recipe with more flavor.
Bring the skillet up to high heat, then melt two tablespoons of butter in the skillet.
Pour the batter into the skillet, and transfer the skillet to the oven at 400 degrees. It’s done when a toothpick comes out clean.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CORNMEAL AND CORN FLOUR?
Corn flour is basically a finer ground version of cornmeal. Cornmeal is used to make dishes like polenta or grits, while corn flour is used for thickening soups or puddings.
For this recipe, you want to use cornmeal because that’s what gives this cornbread recipe its texture.
Yield: 9 servings, Amount per serving: 292 calories, Calories: 292g, Carbohydrates: 45g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 43mg, Sodium: 169mg, Potassium: 229mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 18g, Vitamin A: 315g, Calcium: 85g, Iron: 1.5g
NOTE: This cornbread recipe can be wrapped tightly and stored on the counter for 1-2 days. Any more than that and the bread will have to be refrigerated or frozen. Cornbread will freeze well for 2-3 months.