This delicious Sweet Potato Cake Recipe is perfect to serve for any occasion or any time! The cake is made with soft and moist sweet potato and cinnamon layers and filled with honey cinnamon buttercream for a perfect combination!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light-brown sugar packed
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (about 2-3 roasted sweet potatoes)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter melted, cooled
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- MORE RECIPES
- EASY GRAPY JUICE CHICKEN
- ITALIAN THREE LAYERS CREAM CAKE
- ITALIAN MARINATED TOMATO SALAD
1 ) Preset the oven to 350°F. Butter, line with parchment, and flour two 6 inch cake pans.
2 ) Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
3 ) In an electric mixer, paddle the butter, oil, vanilla and sugars until light and fluffy. There should be no clumps of brown sugar.
4 ) Add the egg and sweet potato puree and mix until incorporated. On low speed, add the dry mixture until just incorporated. Mix the last bit of flour with a spatula to avoid over mixing.
5 ) Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
6 ) Let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then, un-mold and cool completely on racks.
7 ) Top the cake layers with your favorite frosting or use my cinnamon cream cheese frosting recipe cream cheese frosting recipe.
- SHOP ON AMAZON:
- ==> All-Clad Hard-Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan
- ==> AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned
- ==> Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan
Notes: To make a four-layer cake, I recommend freezing the two baked layers after completely cooling them. Once frozen, they are easier to slice in half. Use a long serrated knife and a cutting board for support.
You can also frost the cake while it is still frozen. Just be sure to let it thaw before serving.