These Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Grits are incredibly simple to make using your slow cooker. Yellow stone-ground grits are mixed with chicken broth and cream then cooked with softened chive and onion cream cheese to give them a smooth and velvety texture. Seasoned to perfection these slow cooker grits are then filled with plenty of sharp cheddar cheese to complete this simple but, flavorful dish.
Grits are very American unless you are Italian. Then you are probably familiar with Polenta, which is a finer ground meal. The two are very similar and can be used interchangeably (at least I do).
Grits are coarsely ground corn kernels prepared by boiling with water and/or milk. You can also find hominy grits made from ground hominy, and They can be Yellow or White. I haven’t noticed a taste difference.
- You might also be interested in:
- Pumpkin Cream Pie With Bourbon Whipped Cream
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Shrimp
- How To Make Italian Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups yellow stone-ground grits
- 1 32-oz low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups light whipping cream
- 1 8-oz Onion & Chive Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 2 Tbsp butter
1 ) Spray the bottom and sides of a 6-quart oval slow cooking lightly with cooking spray.
2 ) Whisk together the chicken broth, whipping cream, cream cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
3 ) Add the grits and 2 cups shredded cheese. Mix well.
4 ) Pour into the slow cooker, stir to evenly distribute the grits.
5 ) Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, stopping to stir periodically (Once after cooking for 2 hours then every hour or so thereafter, if possible) Cook until the grits are tender.
6 ) Uncover and stir in butter. Mix until melted.
7 ) Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
8 ) Let stand uncovered for 10 minutes prior to serving. Grits will thicken further as they cool.
- SHOP ON AMAZON:
- ==> All-Clad Hard-Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan
- ==> AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned
- ==> Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan