Xiaomi 14 Pro Review: Pros And Cons In A Detailed Review
Xiaomi has just launched a brand new smartphone – the Xiaomi 14 Pro. This is an upgrade of its predecessor 13 Pro. Powered with the latest version of Qualcomm’s Processor – SnapDragon 8 Gen 3, Xiaomi’s new Hyper OS, and some other benchmark numbers that are off the charts.
a phone that many people have been eagerly anticipating. Xiaomi has been hyping it up, and I have to say, it’s a phone that lives up to the hype. In this review, we’ll dive into the key features and improvements brought to the Xiaomi 14 Pro compared to the flagship market. Buy it here: Xiaomi 14 Pro.
Unboxing and First Impressions
Let’s start with the unboxing experience. Opening the sealed 14 Pro box, you’re greeted by Xiaomi and Leica branding, and it’s clear that this is a premium device. Inside the box, you’ll find the SIM ejector tool, a quick start guide, a new black case that Xiaomi includes, and of course, the star of the show, the Xiaomi 14 Pro.
The Xiaomi 14 Pro is available in different colors, including the shade green, black, silver, and even a special titanium edition. The phone itself boasts an impressive list of features that we’ll delve into in this review.
Design and Build:
The Xiaomi 14 Pro exudes a premium feel. It features a metal frame and a glass back, which, while elegant, is prone to picking up fingerprints and smudges. Personally, I would have preferred the vegan leather finish that Xiaomi offered on the 13 Ultra. However, for those looking for a more premium option, there’s the titanium version.
The phone’s design is clean and practical. It retains the IR blaster, a feature that many Xiaomi fans appreciate. The power and volume keys are on the right side, while the secondary speaker is at the top. The primary microphone, speaker, and a USB Type-C port are found at the bottom. The phone also boasts an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance, adding to its durability. Buy it here: Xiaomi 14 Pro.
One of the standout features of the Xiaomi 14 Pro is its display. It sports a 6.7-inch OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and a Quad HD Plus resolution. Xiaomi’s “all-around liquid display” features a uniform curve around the edges, ensuring a smooth swipe-in feel without significant discoloration. This display is also protected by Xiaomi ceramic glass, which offers impressive drop and scratch resistance.
The panel supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision, has LTP technology, and its brightness can reach an astonishing 3,000 nits. This means that using the phone outdoors won’t be a problem, even in bright sunlight.
Under the hood, the Xiaomi 14 Pro is powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, a powerhouse of a chip. It is paired with up to 16GB of LPDDR5X RAM and up to a terabyte of UFS 4.0 storage. Benchmark numbers for this phone are off the charts, making it one of the most powerful devices on the market.
However, it’s worth noting that the phone struggles with sustained performance, as it couldn’t complete the 3D Mark WF extreme stress test without overheating. This is an aspect that requires further testing to determine the extent of its impact on real-world usage.
The Xiaomi 14 Pro runs on Xiaomi’s new Hyper OS, which is built on Android 14. Xiaomi’s commitment to providing four Android version updates and five years of security patches makes this device a good long-term investment. Hyper OS promises improved stability and efficiency compared to MIUI, and the initial impressions are positive, with fast and smooth performance.
The camera setup on the Xiaomi 14 Pro is impressive. It features a 350-megapixel sensor with a variable aperture lens, a 50-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, and a 75mm equivalent lens for 3.2x zoom. The primary camera can capture stunning images with good dynamic range, and the 8K video recording is top-notch, offering no exposure changes or lens breathing issues. The 50-megapixel ultra-wide sensor adds versatility to your photography with excellent low-light performance.
The 3.2x zoom is perfect for capturing portrait shots, and the 4K support for the selfie camera ensures crisp and detailed selfies with great dynamic range. The Xiaomi 14 Pro’s camera system is versatile and capable of delivering impressive results.
- Oppo Reno10 Pro Plus 5G Review
- iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
- iPhone 15 vs. Galaxy S23
Battery and Charging Capabilities:
The Xiaomi 14 Pro boasts an extraordinary charging system, offering a USB Type-C port that supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, allowing for speeds of up to 10 Gbps. This, paired with the provided 120W charger, results in incredibly rapid charging speeds. The 120W charger facilitates a lightning-fast charging experience, enabling the phone to go from 0 to 100 percent battery in a mere 18 minutes.
The impressive charging speeds are managed by the inclusion of two Surge P2 chips and a Surge G1 chip, effectively handling the charging process. Moreover, the device supports wireless hypercharge at speeds of up to 50W, ensuring a full charge in approximately 40 minutes. Additionally, the phone supports 10W reverse wireless charging, providing users with the flexibility to wirelessly power other compatible devices.
These aspects collectively highlight the Xiaomi 14 Pro’s robust battery design and exceptional charging capabilities, making it a standout choice for users seeking swift and efficient power solutions in a sleek and well-designed smartphone.
- Impressive Display: The Xiaomi 14 Pro boasts a 6.7-inch OLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and Quad HD Plus resolution. The “all-around liquid display” provides a smooth user experience with minimal edge distortion.
- Powerful Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon HCH3S chip and coupled with up to 16GB of LPDDR5X RAM, the 14 Pro delivers blazing-fast performance. Benchmark scores are exceptional, making it one of the most powerful devices on the market.
- Outstanding Camera System: Featuring a 350-megapixel primary sensor with a variable aperture lens and a 50-megapixel ultra-wide sensor, the camera setup on the 14 Pro is versatile and capable of capturing stunning images with excellent dynamic range.
- Fast Charging Capabilities: The inclusion of a 120W charger allows for lightning-fast charging speeds, with the ability to go from 0 to 100% in just 18 minutes. Additionally, wireless hypercharge at up to 50W ensures quick and convenient wireless charging.
- Premium Build Quality: The combination of a metal frame and glass back gives the 14 Pro a premium feel. While prone to fingerprints, the design exudes elegance and durability.
- Impressive Software and Long-Term Support: Hyper OS, based on Android 14, offers a stable and efficient user experience. Xiaomi’s commitment to providing four Android version updates and five years of security patches ensures long-term usability.
- Water and Dust Resistance: With an IP68 rating, the 14 Pro is well-protected against water and dust, adding to its durability and longevity.
- Bright and HDR-Capable Display: With a brightness of up to 3,000 nits and support for HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the 14 Pro’s display excels in outdoor visibility and multimedia consumption.
- Sustained Performance Concerns: The 14 Pro struggles with sustained performance, as evidenced by its inability to complete the 3D Mark WF extreme stress test without overheating. This could impact prolonged, resource-intensive tasks.
- Fingerprint Magnet: The glass back of the 14 Pro is prone to collecting fingerprints and smudges, requiring regular cleaning to maintain its aesthetic appeal.
- No Vegan Leather Option: Unlike its predecessor, the 14 Pro lacks the vegan leather finish, which some users may have preferred for its unique texture and reduced fingerprint visibility.
- Curved Display Edge Discoloration: While Xiaomi has minimized discoloration at the edges of the curved display, some off-axis viewing angles may still exhibit minor color distortion, as is common with curved panels. Buy it here: Xiaomi 14 Pro.
Reasons to Buy:
- Flagship Performance: For users seeking top-tier performance, the Xiaomi 14 Pro’s Snapdragon HCH3S chip and ample RAM deliver a powerhouse experience, suitable for demanding tasks and gaming.
- Camera Excellence: With a versatile camera system that excels in various scenarios, the 14 Pro is an ideal choice for photography enthusiasts and those who prioritize high-quality imaging capabilities.
- Premium Design and Build: The metal frame and glass back, along with the ceramic glass protection, offer a premium and durable feel, making it an attractive choice for users who value aesthetics.
- Fast Charging and Battery Life: The 120W charger and efficient battery management ensure quick and reliable charging, making the 14 Pro suitable for users on the go who need a device that can keep up with their lifestyle.
- Long-Term Software Support: Xiaomi’s commitment to providing four Android version updates and five years of security patches ensures that the 14 Pro will remain relevant and up-to-date for years to come, offering a solid investment in the future.
Pricing and Conclusion
In terms of pricing, the Xiaomi 14 Pro offers excellent value for what it brings to the table. Starting at around $680 USD or 57,000 Rupees in India, the phone provides a compelling package, considering its features, performance, and camera capabilities. Xiaomi has truly delivered a flagship device that lives up to the hype.
To sum it up, the Xiaomi 14 Pro is a fast, camera-focused flagship with a premium design, an exceptional display, and an efficient operating system. While it has a few quirks, it’s a device that should appeal to Xiaomi fans and anyone in search of a top-tier smartphone experience. I can’t wait to see this device go global and make waves in the smartphone market. Buy it here: Xiaomi 14 Pro.