Vivo V29 Pro Review: An Upgrade Worth Considering
The Vivo V29 Pro is the bigger, bolder sibling of the regular Vivo V29, promising robust performance and a camera tech upgrade that includes a portrait lens with two times zoom. In this comprehensive review, we’ll unbox and put the Vivo V29 Pro to the test, examining its design, performance, camera capabilities, software, display, audio, and more. Join us as we explore the latest offering from Vivo, and whether it’s worth considering as your next mid-range smartphone. Check out its latest price here: Vivo V29 Pro.
Unboxing and Design
As we open the box of the Vivo V29 Pro, we find the essentials neatly packed: a Vivo flash charge adapter, a Type-C USB cable, a SIM ejector pin, and a surprise inclusion – a protective case for your Vivo V29 Pro. The design of the V29 Pro closely resembles that of its regular counterpart, the Vivo V29.
It sports a sleek and curvy design, characteristic of many mid-range smartphones today. However, it falls short in the color department, offering only black and blue variants, lacking the vibrant choices of the regular V29.
The 3D particle finish on the rear gives it a unique texture, making it visually appealing. It’s worth noting that while the original Vivo V29 was IP68 water and dust resistant, the V29 Pro doesn’t carry the same certification, which is a bit of a disappointment.
Software and User Experience
The Vivo V29 Pro runs on Android version 13 with the fun touch OS layered on top. Vivo promises three years of security updates and two Android OS updates, which is a decent commitment for a mid-range device. Fun touch OS doesn’t interfere too much with the stock Android experience, offering an app drawer, a customizable notification center, and Google’s discover feed.
However, the device does come with pre-installed bloatware like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Snapchat, but most of it can be uninstalled or disabled. The device also offers a decent amount of customization, including an always-on display and personalized animations. It’s easy to navigate and offers a pleasant user experience.
The Vivo V29 Pro features a 6.78-inch AMOLED display with a 1.5k resolution, boasting 452 pixels per inch. The screen curves at the edges, offering a virtually bezel-less experience. It supports HDR10+ streaming and delivers strong contrast and vivid colors. With a peak brightness of 1300 nits, it remains visible even in bright sunlight.
The display is responsive, even when palm and finger flesh intrudes on the edges. You can customize the display with different color presets and even adjust the color temperature. The 120Hz refresh rate provides a smooth experience, and you can set it to automatically switch between 60Hz and 120Hz depending on the activity.
Unfortunately, the Vivo V29 Pro features a mono speaker setup, with the bottom-firing speaker doing all the work. While it’s reasonably loud and not too tinny, it’s disappointing that a stereo setup isn’t offered, as many mid-range competitors do provide this feature. This affects the audio experience while watching videos or playing games, where stereo speakers would have enhanced immersion.
- Read also:
- Google Pixel 8 Vs. Pixel 8 Pro
- Soundcore Motion X600 Portable Hi-Fi Speaker Review
- Google Pixel 8 vs. Pixel 8 Pro: What’s the Difference?
Performance and Gaming
The Vivo V29 Pro is powered by MediaTek’s Dimensity 8200 chipset, a replacement for the Snapdragon 778G in the regular V29. In everyday use, the performance is quite smooth, handling light multitasking and navigating FunTouch OS without hiccups. The device is also suitable for gaming, though some demanding titles like Genshin Impact might require lowering settings for smoother gameplay.
The device offers cooling mechanisms to prevent overheating, but it does warm up slightly after extended gaming sessions. Vivo’s dedicated gaming tools are present, including “Do Not Disturb” and screen recording features. While it’s a capable performer for most tasks, serious gamers might find it lacking in fluidity compared to other gaming-centric smartphones.
Battery Life and Charging
One of the V29 Pro’s strengths is its generous 4,600mAh battery, which keeps the device running for a full day, even with extensive camera usage. If you find yourself running low on power, the 80W flash charging support provides rapid recharging, giving you ample power in just 15-20 minutes to last through an afternoon or evening. The combination of a large battery and quick charging is a valuable feature for those on the go.
The Vivo V29 Pro shines in the camera department, sporting a 50-megapixel IMX 766 primary sensor with optical image stabilization. The camera app offers a variety of modes, including portrait, night mode, high-res mode, and a Pro mode for manual adjustments.
In general, the auto mode captures vibrant images with poppy colors and fine details. However, the camera tends to enhance colors, resulting in a less natural look. Some post-processing quirks might be noticeable in certain situations, but it’s not a deal-breaker.
The V29 Pro also features a portrait shooter with a two-times optical zoom, using Sony’s IMX 663 sensor. This allows for closer shots with appealing bokeh effects, particularly suitable for portraits, pets, and children. The two-times optical zoom can also be handy for shooting distant subjects, although image quality starts to degrade beyond this point.
The Vivo V29 Pro offers Aura flash, a bright rear ring that allows for creative lighting effects, adding a unique touch to your photos. In terms of video recording, the device can shoot 4K video at 30 or 60 frames per second, delivering decent quality. However, stabilization could be improved for smoother footage.
The front camera is a 50-megapixel sensor with autofocus, capturing crisp selfies, especially in good lighting conditions. It also supports 4K video recording with clear audio pickup.
- Impressive Camera Capabilities: The Vivo V29 Pro boasts a 50-megapixel primary sensor with optical image stabilization, providing sharp and vibrant photos. The two-times optical zoom for portraits and Aura flash add versatility and creativity to your photography.
- Powerful Performance: Equipped with the MediaTek Dimensity 8200 chipset, the V29 Pro delivers smooth and responsive everyday performance. It handles multitasking and FunTouch OS navigation with ease.
- Ample Storage: With 256GB of onboard storage, the V29 Pro provides ample space for apps, media, and files. This generous storage capacity outperforms many flagship phones in the market.
- Large AMOLED Display: The 6.78-inch AMOLED display offers a high resolution and vibrant colors, providing an immersive viewing experience. The 120Hz refresh rate ensures smooth animations and transitions.
- Long-lasting Battery with Fast Charging: The 4,600mAh battery is capable of providing all-day battery life, even with extensive camera usage. The inclusion of 80W flash charging allows for rapid recharging, ensuring you stay connected.
- Sleek Design and Build Quality: The V29 Pro features a sleek and curvy design with a 3D particle finish, giving it a unique and visually appealing texture. Despite its slim profile, it feels well-constructed. Get it here: Vivo V29 Pro>>
- Mono Speaker Setup: The V29 Pro only features a single bottom-firing speaker, missing out on the enhanced audio experience that stereo speakers provide. This might be a drawback for users who prioritize immersive audio.
- Limited Color Options: Unlike its regular counterpart, the V29 Pro offers a more limited selection of colors, with only black and blue variants available. This may disappoint users looking for more vibrant options.
- Gaming Limitations: While the V29 Pro is suitable for casual gaming, serious gamers may find it lacking in fluidity for demanding titles like Genshin Impact. Some settings adjustment may be needed for smoother gameplay.
Reasons to Buy:
- Photography Enthusiasts: If you prioritize camera capabilities in a smartphone, the Vivo V29 Pro is an excellent choice. Its 50-megapixel primary sensor, portrait lens with two-times zoom, and creative Aura flash provide versatile and high-quality photography options.
- Media Consumption: The large AMOLED display with a high resolution and vibrant colors makes the V29 Pro ideal for media consumption. Whether it’s streaming videos, gaming, or browsing, the visual experience is immersive.
- Storage Powerhouse: With 256GB of onboard storage, the V29 Pro offers plenty of space for apps, photos, videos, and files. This is especially appealing for users who like to keep a lot of content on their device without relying on external storage.
- Battery Life and Fast Charging: For users on the go, the V29 Pro’s long-lasting battery and rapid 80W flash charging are invaluable features. It ensures that you can stay connected and productive without worrying about running out of power.
- Smooth and Responsive Performance: Whether it’s multitasking or navigating through the UI, the Dimensity 8200 chipset ensures that the V29 Pro handles tasks with ease. It provides a seamless user experience for everyday activities.
The Vivo V29 Pro is a notable upgrade over the regular V29, offering better camera tech, a powerful Dimensity 8200 chipset, and an impressive 4,600mAh battery with fast charging. The device retains the sleek and curvy design of its predecessor, although the color options are more limited. The software experience is pleasant, with minimal bloatware and a decent commitment to Android updates. The display impresses with its vibrant visuals and high brightness. However, the mono speaker setup and slight gaming limitations might deter some users.
The standout feature of the Vivo V29 Pro is its camera capabilities. With a 50-megapixel primary sensor, two-times optical zoom for portraits, and a versatile set of shooting modes, it offers great flexibility for photography enthusiasts. The Aura flash adds a creative touch to your photos, and the 4K video recording capabilities are a bonus. The front camera performs admirably, capturing sharp selfies and supporting 4K video.
In conclusion, the Vivo V29 Pro is a compelling mid-range smartphone with a focus on camera excellence and dependable performance. While it does have some limitations, it’s certainly a device worth considering, especially if you prioritize photography and are looking for an upgrade from the regular V29. Check out its latest price here: Vivo V29 Pro>>