This creamy broccoli cheddar soup is creamy, cheesy, loaded with fresh broccoli, and oh so delicious. And stay tuned for the creative way we serve this at the end. It is one of my favorites when it comes to soups. This takes just 30 minutes to make, so Let’s get started.
- MORE RECIPES
- EASY GRAPY JUICE CHICKEN
- ITALIAN THREE LAYERS CREAM CAKE
- ITALIAN MARINATED TOMATO SALAD
- EASY CREAMY CUCUMBER SALAD
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 4 Tbsp butter or light butter
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 32 oz container low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cup broccoli florets chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 8 oz container regular or light onion and chive cream cheese
- 3 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese plus additional for garnishing
- 2 cup half & half or light cream
- ¼ cup cornstarch dissolve in half & half
- SHOP ON AMAZON:
- ==> All-Clad Hard-Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan
- ==> AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned
- ==> Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan
1 ) In a large soup pot or dutch oven, cook the onion and carrot in the butter and a couple of drizzles of olive oil. Cook over medium-high for 5 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
2 ) Add the chicken stock and broccoli florets to the pot. Sprinkle with additional salt and black pepper.
3 ) Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until the broccoli is fork-tender about 5-7 minutes.
Add the cream cheese and stir until dissolved. Add the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir over medium-low heat until combined.
4 ) Dissolve ¼ cup cornstarch in 2 cups of cold half & half until completely dissolved.
Increase the heat then mix into the soup. Bring to a bubbling boil over medium-high stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
5 ) Cook just until thickened. If you prefer a thinner soup add more stock or half & half until the desired consistency is reached.
Adjust the salt and pepper before serving.