This Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is an easy one-pot comfort food meal that can be ready in 30 minutes by using your Instant Pot! The chicken and vegetables are all cooked together, sauteed in the same Instant Pot.
This allows the chicken flavor to infuse flavor into the sauteed vegetables. In addition, I add extra black pepper and poultry seasoning as well as other seasonings to the classic chicken and dumplings recipe.
Chicken and dumplings are usually made with a chicken broth-based soup with chicken, vegetables, cream, and biscuits as the dumplings. It is a very hearty, rich and comforting soup that makes a perfect fall or winter soup. It is a very popular soup in the United States, especially in the Southern states.
- Bacon Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- The Best Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Casserole
- Easy Crockpot Apple Oatmeal
- Chicken Soup
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts diced into 1″ pieces
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning (Includes thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, etc.)
- Salt to taste
- 5 refrigerated canned biscuits, each cut into 8 pieces (Or see below to make your own)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, (optional to thicken the soup)
- 1/4 cup cold water, (optional to thicken the soup)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, (optional for garnish)
- Homemade Dumplings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
1 ) Press the SAUTE button. Add oil. When the front of the Instant Pot says “Hot” then add the onions and saute the onions for 4 or 5 minutes.
2 ) After the onions have cooked for about 5 minutes, or until they are softened, add the celery, carrots, and garlic. Stir so they cook evenly and to keep the garlic from burning.
3 ) Add the chicken and cook with the vegetables for about 5 minutes.
4 ) Add the chicken broth, black pepper, poultry seasoning, salt, and Italian seasoning.
5 ) Remove 5 refrigerated canned biscuits and slice each biscuit into 8 pieces. The easiest way is to slice them like a pizza into 8 pieces. Then drop each of the pieces into the Instant Pot.
- PRODUCTS WE RECOMMEND:
- => All-Clad Hard Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan
- => AmazonBasics Pre-Seasoned
- => Aluminum Nonstick Frying Pan
6 ) Press CANCEL to cancel the Saute function. Close the Pressure Cooker lid. (See instructions for your specific pressure cooker.) Press “Pressure Cook” or Manual (depending on your model), and select High Pressure, and adjust the time to 7 minutes, to pressure cook with high pressure for 7 minutes.
7 ) After 7 minutes, let the Instant Pot release go through the natural release cycle to release the steam. (See instructions for your specific model.) It may take about 10 minutes.
8 ) After the steam has been released and the pin has dropped, move the sealing knob to the VENTING position. Carefully unlock and remove the lid.
9 ) Stir in the peas and heavy cream.
10 ) If you need to thicken the chicken and dumplings, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water and stir into the chicken and dumplings.
11 ) Add chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish.
Instructions For Homemade Dumplings
1 ) In a medium bowl mix together all ingredients, except the butter and milk.
2 ) Cut in the butter and using a pastry cutter or fork mix together until you have coarse crumbs. Pour in milk and stir until everything is just moistened.
3 ) Drop teaspoonfuls of dumpling batter into the Instant Pot after you added the chicken and chicken broth.